Mapo Tofu - 麻婆豆腐
tahu stewed in an aromatic and spicy sauce
600 g soft tahu/tofu
1/2 tsp salt
2 cm jahe
100 gr minced meat
1 tsp Shaoxing rice wine
2 tbsp Sichuan chili bean paste (Doubanjiang)
1 tbsp fermented black beans
1 tbsp chili powder
5 cloves of garlic
500 ml water or stock
2 tbsp cornflour + 3 tbsp water
2 tbsp oil
1 spring onion, sliced
1/2 teaspoon Sichuan pepper, ground
Chop the jahe fine. Rinse the black beans and chop them finely. Cut the garlic into thin slices. Cut the tofu into cubes.
Heat in a pan the water together with the tahu and the salt and boil it slowly for 3 minutes. Then drain and set aside.
Heat the oil in a pan and fry the jahe for 10 seconds. Then add the minced meat and the rice wine and fry the meat until it changes color. Then add the garlic, black beans, chili powder and Sichuan chili bean paste and mix well and fry for 3 minutes.
Then add the water and bring it to a boil. Then add the tofu and cook until the moisture is reduced by 1/3. Then add half of the cornstarch solution and continue cooking for 10 seconds. Then mix in the remaining half and stir until the sauce thickens. Then sprinkle the spring onion and Sichuan pepper on top and serve.
- Udang Bakar Jimbaran - Roasted shrimps from Bali
- Semur Kerang Darah- spicy stewed mussels/clams
- Kangkung Renyah - fried kangkung with herbs
- Sambal Goreng Ikan Bilis - small dried anchovies with peanuts
- Abon Tongkol Pedas - dry-fried spicy tuna
- Tu'un Fafi - roasted sucking pig
- Wong Dadah - balinese mushroom soup