Shui Zhu Niu Rou - 水煮 牛肉
Sichuan boiled beef
300 gr beef (bavette/flank)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp Shaoxing rice wine
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp oil
13 dried lomboks
1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
1/2 head of romaine lettuce
75 gr bean sprouts
6 cm jahe
4 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp Sichuan chilli bean paste / Doubanjiang / 豆瓣酱
1 tsp chilli powder
500 ml of water
2 tbsp oil
5 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp oil
Cut the meat into thin slices of 2 mm thickness. Mix the meat with the salt, rice wine, soy sauce, egg, cornstarch and water and mix until the moisture is absorbed. Then mix in the sesame oil.
Heat in a pan over low heat, the oil, the lomboks and the Sichuan peppercorns and fry them while stirring until the aromas are released. Then scoop it out of the pan and chop it finely.
Then add the lettuce and bean sprouts in the used oil and fry until they wilt lightly and then set it aside in a bowl.
Cut the jahe and the garlic into thin slices. Heat the oil in a pan over low heat, and fry the jahe, the garlic, the chili powder and the doubanjiang for 5 minutes. Then add the water and bring to a boil.
Then turn the heat to medium-high and then add the meat piece by piece and cook until done. Then spoon the meat and stock over the lettuce and bean sprouts.
Finely chop the garlic. Spoon this over the meat with the chopped lomboks. Heat the oil in a pan until it starts to smoke and then pour it over the garlic and the lomboks. Sprinkle some chopped coriander/cilantro on top and serve.
- Sup Tomat Bola Udang - tomato soup with shrimp balls
- Horenso Rebung Taoco - spiced spinach with bamboo shoots
- Cah Pare Bawing Putih - fried cucumber with garlic
- Telur Bumbu Paniki - very spicy eggs from Manado
- Terik Daging Sapi - fried meat with vegetables in spicy sauce
- Es Timun jeruk nipis - Refreshing cucumber drink with lemon
- Gurame Kunyit Pedas - fish in spicy yellow sauce